Sometimes issues may arise that interfere with smooth running. We've done our best to gather a list of some more common issues and possible solutions.
If you can't find solutions here, contact us by chat on this site, or at email@example.com and we'll be happy to help.
Agents don't appear in IDE¶
If agents don't appear in the IDE, it could be because they are not running on the application server. If you're sure the agent is running, then this error could be due to connection or authentication issues from the client side.
To resolve these, try:
- Restarting the IDE
If the agents still don't appear, contact your administrator for assistance.
Lightrun actions in this file were submitted against a different version...¶
This notification warning pops up when one or more actions in the open file were set against different source code. This might happen if you set an action after making edits to the file, or if an action was set to the same file by another person whose source code differs from yours.
This warning can be ignored, as it doesn't block the activation of the action. However, actions set on mismatching source code can cause unexpected behavior, so it is recommended that you solve this issue if it arises.
To solve the issue:¶
- Make sure the application you are debugging is using the same file as the code that you've opened in your editor (or the editor of whoever set the action).
- Try closing the file and reopening it.
- If the problem persists, you can disable the warning: Click "Don't Show this Again" in the notification panel.
Disabling this notification will also affect the way other people view the actions that you have set.
Self-signed certificate is blocked¶
Troubleshooting for this issue may vary depending on browser, browser version or operating system.
The following links cover most of the certificate issues associated with popular browsers and operating systems:
Can't sign in from the plugin¶
- No connectivity to server (cloud)
- Check the Lightrun Server URL in the plugin's settings (under the IDE's Preferences / Settings --> Lightrun) and make sure it's the same URL that appears in the browser page from which you're trying to authenticate.
Can't sign in from the browser for the plugin or CLI¶
If you can't log in from your browser, check the following issues:
- Ensure the client can communicate with the server (the cloud).
- There may be a problem with the embedded browser in your IDE - try disabling Use Embedded Browser option for IntelliJ from the IDE Settings menu and then try logging in again.
Agent exits unexpectedly¶
If the agent exits immediately after you've run it, or if it exits unexpectedly, try checking these issues:
- If you're running with classes (rather than with jars), ensure that the class path has been configured.
- Ensure the path to the agent is correct.
Can't see dynamic logs in my IDE¶
Logs only appear in the IDE if piping is configured correctly. If you can't see logs, check these issues:
- Double-check piping configuration to ensure it's set to Plugin or Both.
- Check all of the Lightrun Console filters to make sure you haven't filtered out the dynamic logs you're looking for:
Metrics not reported in integrated tool¶
Try these options:
- Double-check the configurations for your webhook and app settings and check the credentials you used to integrate.
- Ensure that any other integration settings are correct for the third-party platform you're using in order to ensure our server can send information to it.
- Ensure piping is enabled.
- Once you send logs, wait a little bit to give the platform time to index and make them available for search. This normally happens anywhere between seconds to one minute, but sometimes it can take longer.
Can't create a new action¶
Sometimes you can't create an active action for a variety of different reasons, as outlined here.
- You can't create a new action
- An action you create appears red in the IDE
- The only actions that appear in the IDE are for tags
- You can't find the agent list in the IDE
- Check to make sure you're logged in. Try logging out and then logging back in.
- Ensure you're attempting to insert the action from a line with code in it. From the IDE, ensure the cursor is positioned within your code. From the CLI, double-check that the line number you used is valid.
- The agent may down. Ask one of your account managers to check.
- Ensure the relevant agent still has at least one tag on it. The default tag is Production, but the manager may have removed this tag accidentally and left the agent with no tags.
- You're not connected to the correct source code version (the same version currently running with the agent). Try closing the source code and reopening the file, ensuring you're opening the file directly from the running application.
- Your plugin might need to be upgraded to the newest version.
Can't delete an existing action¶
If you can't delete an action, check that:
- You're logged in.
- The agent you're using is currently running. Try running
Can't see the Lightrun plugin sidebar¶
If you can't see the plugin from your IDE, check that:
- The IntelliJ default is not set to Collapse.
- The plugin is installed and active.
- Check the plugin's settings at View->Tool Windows->Lightrun.
Can't switch user¶
To switch users, you need to log out of the currently active user first. If this doesn't work, try to:
- Clear cookies and try again.
- If you're working from the browser, try a different browser and try incognito.
Source file not found¶
This usually happens when the relevant JAR is not on the classpath.
When spinning up your application with the Lightrun agent attached, add the
lightrun_extra_class_path command line argument to fix the problem:
java -agentpath:<PATH_TO_AGENT>/lightrun_agent.so=--lightrun_extra_class_path=<PATH_TO_JAR> YourApplication